Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Winter Chili Cook Off

Another recipe contest is here! This time it's a chili cookoof; once again hosted by Tami over at Running with Tweezers.

I tried to think a little outside the box for this one, but not too far. I do love my "traditional" chili. So, to mix it up a bit I used bratwurst sausage instead of the usual ground beef or turkey. I'll say that the delicious flavor of the sausage worked out well and made for a wonderful bowl of chili.

Here's how you too can enjoy this wonderful Bratwurst chili. You'll need:

  • 3 stadium brats, like Johnsonville
  • 1 can Pabst Blue Ribbon
  • 1 medium onion(diced)
  • 2 orange bell peppers(diced)
  • 1 15oz can of Kidney Beans(drained and rinsed)
  • 1 15oz can of Black Beans(drained and rinsed)
  • 1 15oz can of Tomato Sauce
  • 1 28 oz can of Diced Tomatoes (drained)
  • 3 Tsp Chili Powder
  • 1 Tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper

Now, here's what to do:

  1. Remove the sausage from it's casing and pinch it into bite sized pieces.
  2. Sautee the sausage in stock pot over medium heat till cooked through, then drain in a colander.
  3. Add onions and peppers to the stock pot and sautee for about 5-7 minutes.
  4. Add sausage, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, can of beer and seasonings.
  5. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.

This recipe should serve four people or just two lunatics. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Bradley said...

The chili looks fantastic, the addition of the crackers around the base is the key!

tcphoto1 said...

You had me at PBR! Hope that the cat gets off the streets soon, it's cold out there.

Come by the coalmine on Sunday, it's my last day. FREEDOM!

Unknown said...

I turn my back for a moment and your cat becomes homeless!! The chili looks delicious but I'm still jonesing for the dreamland bbq you mentioned. Just tried my first Portland bbq today....hmmm...not bad.
Cheers! Jain