Friday, February 16, 2007

Pre-dawn hours are nice. I'm not sure what time I awoke this morning as the power seemed to have been out. I woke up on the couch at some time this morning maybe it was 4 or 4:30. Looking around for a clock to read, none could be found. I rubbed my eyes and looked again; nothing. That's when it sank in. No little diodes glowing, no digital clocks to be read; not even the hum of appliances. It was just amazingly quiet and cold. I stayed right where I was and assessed the situation. How long would the power be out? Would I have to shower with whatever hot water is left? Then I realised that it's not so bad. People are dying in the Midwest and northeast thanks to Old Man Winter. Nice, it's so cold, my coffee only stayed hot for 8 minutes; now it's tepid at best.

I will say this about getting up at a pre-dawn hour; I'll get to experience one of my favorite times of the day. It's the ten minutes or so just before sunrise. I call it the "Blue Time." From what I understand, it's mostly UV light at this point, which gives a kind of purplish/blue light; nature's black light if you will. If you should ever catch yourself up before sunrise be sure to check it out.

No comments: